I wanted to convert a Azure A series VM to a D series but there wasn’t a way to do it in the configuration settings. So, I did some Internet searching and found the following steps:
- Stop the VM
- Delete the VM including the domain name but don’t delete the disk.
- Create a new D series VM
- Use the old portal
- Click New “+”
- Select Compute –> Virtual Machine –> From Gallery
- Select My Disks
- Select appropriate disk
- Virtual Machine Name – mgw-minecraft
- Tier – Standard
- Size – D1
- Cloud Server – create a new cloud service
- Cloud Service DNS Name – mgw-minecraft
After provisioning and starting was done, I downloaded the new RDP file and make my preferred setting changes. I connected and looked at the Event Viewer.
Everything looked good so I created the endpoint.
Here are some links from my research:
- How do I re-create a VM using existing VHD after deleting it
- Upgrading from A-series to D-series Azure virtual machine