I while back I did some researching into website policy templates and disclaimers but with all the GPDR notices, I thought it was time to revisit the research. There seems to be many new resources.
I found two websites that would help with crafting different polices in TermsFeed and Termly. Both websites also gave information on what each policy type was and when to use it. Both had free templates along with generators.
TermsFeed offers free agreements and paid agreements. The free agreements take the form of agreements without all the necessary clauses in them. They have free downloadable versions but are missing sections. They will host your agreements on their web server or you can download them. One unique this is the generators show which sections cost which what. So, in the end, you pay once for the agreement.
Termly also offers free agreements and paid agreements. They also offer free downloadable templates which seem complete except for section that need to be updated with your specific information. Their free plan is one policy. Termly also only hosts the agreements on their servers. The positive is they will update them for you when things change. The paid plan offers unlimited policies for unlimited websites.
To summarize, both services accomplish the goal of helping to generate website policies and the differences seem to be related to pricing models. Here is my recommendations:
- You will want to have policies for exactly what your need but at minimum, you should add these policies
- Terms and conditions
- If you want 100% free, download the templates from Termly and edit in Microsoft Word.
- It will take time but you will have policies at the end of process.
- If you want something easy, use the generators from either website based on your desire to either pay one-time upfront or small monthly fee.
- As of June 2018, Termly is $10 a month if paid annually.
- As of June 2018, TermsFeed policies cost for the sample of clauses:
- Privacy – $53 to $101
- Terms & Conditions – $58 to $93
- Cookies – $23
- Disclaimer – $5
- If you are hosting a number of websites, Termly is probably a better solution since unlimited policies and websites.