There are a number of tips to help optimize your website:
- Make sure you have enough content on your web page.
- Make sure the content matches the keywords you are trying to optimize for.
- Make sure the content is readable to a human and not just a search engine. A great technique is to use SEO-Browser.com to see how your webpage will look like to a search bot.
- Make sure to add keywords to all your tags like title, description, keywords and image ALT tags.
- Don’t use frames
- Don’t use Flash especially if it is for your entire website.
- Create a sitemap to help a search bot index your site. XML-Sitemaps.com offers a service to generate a sitemap for you.
- Create a privacy page. It is a good thing to do for your visitors and may be needed if you are using Google Adsense on your website.
- Don’t use hidden or invisible text.
- Avoid having duplicate content on different web pages on your website.
- Your Title tags and H1 tags are very important and should contain your keywords.
- Don’t create subdomains when a subfolder will work.
Also, check out this article on free browser extensions for marketers.